Start a new topic

Programs targeting specific faders

Hello community (hopefully I'm posting this in the correct place),

To pose my problem, let me first illustrate my (heavily simplified) setup:

I'm using the DMX USB PRO box to control my lights. Because of portability, I'm using MIDI to trigger programs, which are routed out of my Ableton Live instance. My hardware setup is only comprised of one moving head fixture. Everything works well, and I have no apparent problems using EMU, nor does communication or hardware setup cause me any problems.

What I was wondering: is it possible to target only specific faders through MIDI control? A typical use case would be:

1) Aim fixture to some vector, set light to full.

2) Blackout: no lights are visible.

3) Turn on light, so that we basically revert back to program 1.

When programming this, I would cycle through the following programs:

- Program 2: Lights on.

- Program 1: Blackout.

- Program 2: Lights on.

This works. However, in my current configuration, program 1 also manipulates the vector of the lights, since it inherently does have settings for pan and tilt and therefore applies them when executing the program.

My question to you:

Is it possible to just turn off the lights through a MIDI triggered program, whereas that program ignores the settings of other faders?

FYI:

- I know that VST plugins provide more flexibility than MIDI. Still I'd like to acchieve this through MIDI triggers

- A workaround would be to copy all existing _lights on_ programs, and fade to a copy where only the dimmers are different: that's beside the point. I'm looking for a more lean solution

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the long story ;)!

- Jeroen - 

======

TL;DR:

Is it possible to trigger a program through MIDI, so that this program only manipulates certain predefined faders?

Login or Signup to post a comment