Start a new topic

create our own fixtures

Hello!

I have a premium EMU license, however, most of my fixtures are not in the curre library.  A lot of them are 'generic' fixtures from chinese companies.

Is there a way I can define these myself?  

If so, can I also share or submit these fixture definitions for other users?

Some of the lights have either little or NO documentation (or I have lost them) so they will require a bit of trial and error, which I am willing and able to do.

3 people have this question

I noticed we had updates but no way to still add fixtures yet.

Really need this feature

1 person likes this

Ive removed the software. Its not ready for public.

I am generic fixture guy as well.  As much as I like giving companies twice as much money for the same darn thing I have moved away from that.  The last one I bought a fantastic bargain , a 4 inch moving head BEAM light RGBW with UV were already in there believe it or not.   The first step to not creating a monstrosity of crap for a fixture library is to make sure something does not already exist. I don't mind farming that out to a librarian.  Maybe some of mine are in there because the same fixtures are sold under...5 different names.  The only upside is the turn around for a new fixture to be added when I have requested is two days max.  That's pretty sweet.  Can't beat that but...in a pinch it would be nice to be able to add it as I am always doing crap at the last minute. 

as long as we are only buggering up our own library.  how hard would it be?  Is the library locked? Can you enable a user library that uses XML files or something? 

2 people like this
Indeed. Creating our own fixtures should of been common sense really.

2 people like this

Hello Enttec,

I am a long time user of DMXIS and have found it to be an excellent product. I have always relied on the ability to add ones own fixtures to the library as this has worked well in the past. 

With the move to EMU however, I have found it very inconvenient that this simple task has been removed, with the need to rely on waiting several days (up to one week), for fixtures to be added to the library. 

This is not good enough Enttec, after forcing us to accept a subscription based model. 

So after some deliberation, I am now considering moving my whole fixture collection into QLC+ which by the way is entirely free software. 

2 people like this

Thanks Allen;

I managed to find a profile that matches my main moving heads, still needing only one now.

Looking around for the docs for that one, I know I have a pamphlet here somewhere!

It is a 'MFL Moving Head Light 7x18w RGBWA UV Stage Wash Light' 11 or 18 channels.
I have reached out to MFL via their facebook page and they are looking into it for me also.

LOL....their response of 'The light i think 5 years. It still work?'  kind of cracked me up.
You would never hear that from any of the 'majors' - but yes, 
I ordered my last one of these lights on "
Ordered on June 15, 2016".

2 people like this

At a pinch, you can use a number of single dimmers and/or the Generic RGB or RGBW . Not pretty but it works.

2 people like this

Thank you for the reply.
The problem is I don't have hardly anything, and short of sending them physical lights to work with I don't see a way around this.  For now I probably have to stop using EMU until this is put in place.

Having the ability to edit and create fixtures really needs to be a 'needed for production release' task item, before something could come out of beta.

At least in my opinion.  I have had too many times over the years where I have had to do emergency on the fly work to get a show working (perhaps with a clients lights they have already up) and don't always have 24 hours to wait, let alone a week.

--Joe

Hey Joe,

This is currently a task in our development backlog, however, you can definitely submit everything you have regarding fixture information in the fixture creation forum where the guys at Crescit will build it for you. We pull updates from Crescit every Sunday night and auto compile the library ready for download (the latest version can be downloaded within ELM by navigating to the Settings menu).

If you're requesting a handful of fixtures, we recommend you add them as separate tickets to make processing them easier for the Crescit team.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment