Start a new topic

EMU Crashing when running MIDI Logic Pro

Hi, I’m having an issue. EMU works fine stand alone and I’m able to basically “play” programs via a midi keyboard. The problem is when I try to run automated midi note triggering through Logic Pro X, EMU locks up and crashes. Yes I have the latest version of EMU Also I saw in another thread there’s an AUv2 for the plug in? I only got a VST3 with my download. Please help I really need this to work or might as well throw out the lights I got specifically to work with this set up.

1 person has this problem

Folks, appealing to you with another try to resolve this issue. 

Please, try the new Beta 23.2.1.12 version (with DryWetMIDI service) you can download it from the EMU itself or from this link: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/enttec-software-builds/emu/EMU-Beta.pkg 

If it doesn’t work we can schedule a video call if you ok with it - I want to see and shoot what exactly are you doing to get the crash.

Here is a link to a video showing the behavior we are seeing.

This shows the behavior we are seeing when sending a midi note to emu from Logic Pro.

Here is video of what’s happens to mine https://we.tl/t-1PUAzZL546

Thanks guys, now we have small clue on the issue and already working on alfa version to provide it for you to verify (shortly we'll send it to you).

Christopher, Robbie, at the same time could you please also share your shows from EMU and from Logic? We'd like to reproduce the issue on our side - that could identify the issue more accurate and faster.

Hello, I just ordered lights for my band, and a DMX USB Pro, and signed up for the EMU subscription. I'm having the exact same issue that is being reported here with Logic. This is a pretty big letdown. Any assistance with getting this up and running quickly and reliably would be greatly appreciated. I see setting up a call as an option mentioned before. I'm happy to hop on a call to see if this can help troubleshoot if needed. Also, I saw a Durham NC address listed on your site, I am not far from there. Happy to meet with someone in person if this is where your technical people are located and that would be helpful. 

Hi again, after some more messing around with this, I've found a "work around". This is very far from ideal, but I'm hoping it will lead to someone being able to fix this. 

Logic will send midi to EMU without crashing IF the midi editor is not open when you hit play. Also, if you put too many changes in too short of a time, or make the midi notes too long (they dont have to be very long to be too long), EMU crashes. So basically, it seems like EMU is getting very easily overwhelmed with how much midi data it's receiving from Logic. 

Hello Gentlemen,

Blake, indeed you're exactly right, we found from the customer's log that there are more than 600K requests per second to EMU. And those requests are not for faders, but for changing banks/programs. That is way too much. You should guys optimize your shows. And at the same time we've made alpha version with the protection, so that EMU shouldn't stuck anymore. Please try it and reply with the results (if something is bad - log file is required).

1 person likes this

Hi Andrei, 

Thank you for the info, I will try this new update tomorrow! However, I'm currently testing an extremely simple show that just turns a light on/off and changes it's color. I can't speak for the others having this issue, but this is a very simple test show I'm experimenting with. I'll respond tomorrow with if the new update is working smoother. 

Thank you for continuing to work to resolve this! 

Hi Andrei, 

This update is an improvement and is running much more stable. Having some different issues now, however. I'm trying to turn lights on and off to the beat of the song. As I understand your previous comment, I shouldn't be doing this by switching  programs. The plugin version will not load in Logic in the current version so I'm not able to use that. Is there an update to the plugin, or some way to make this load that would resolve this issue? 

For reference, I'm using an M1 Pro macbook pro on 12.4, I'm running Logic in rosetta mode. 

Blake, you may use switching programs to turn on/off the lights. I just said that in log we saw there were over 600k requests. And that is too much. 

Folks, while the issue is not resolved yet and we haven't figured out the reason of it we still doing our best with alpha versions. Here is a new one (23.02.10.4), please try it and share the log file if there are any issues.

Hi Andrei, 

In the current version that I have downloaded (the previous beta you posted), I can turn on/off lights, but no quicker than about 2 seconds. 

Also, perhaps I'm responding too quickly, but I'm trying to download the new beta you just posted and Onedrive is stating that the item does not exist. I'll check back in a little bit to see if it just needs time to upload. 

Blake, your prompt answers inspire us to resolve this issue as fast as possible. The new alpha should be already available thru the link. Try it again please. 

Thank you! I'm still getting the same issue with this link. See attached picture for reference. 

Please try this link: 23.02.10.4 (direct download) or this one 23.02.10.4

1 person likes this

The second link there worked. I will test and report back ASAP. Thank you! 

Login or Signup to post a comment