Start a new topic

EMU Crashing when running MIDI Logic Pro

Hi, I’m having an issue. EMU works fine stand alone and I’m able to basically “play” programs via a midi keyboard. The problem is when I try to run automated midi note triggering through Logic Pro X, EMU locks up and crashes. Yes I have the latest version of EMU Also I saw in another thread there’s an AUv2 for the plug in? I only got a VST3 with my download. Please help I really need this to work or might as well throw out the lights I got specifically to work with this set up.

1 person has this problem

Hi Andrei, 

I'm not seeing much of a change with this update. I took a video detailing what is happening, what I'm trying to do, and what I'm seeing with the AU plugin. I've also included the log. The video is still processing at the time of posting this comment. I will check back on it in an hour or two and post another comment confirming that it should now be viewable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19MWr0M7ufYJstRupB6HUPP6iR4XHE4as/view?usp=share_link

txt

Hi Andrei, 

Wanted to provide a new update. Yesterday I tried uninstalling the test versions you've provided, and reinstalled the current official version. I cannot explain why, but all of the issues I was initially having are now resolved. I'm doing the exact same things that were crashing the program when I first installed it, and it is now having no effect. I'm also not having the issues with not being able to turn on/off lights that I was having with the test versions that were provided. I've now programmed 2 songs and have not had any issues. Now the only thing is the plugin still isn't useable, but I'm not really needing that at the moment. I will write here again should any issues arise. 

Thank you again for your hard work and attentiveness on this. 

Hey Blake, Could you possibly post here in text/photo form your procedure for set up and settings inside EMU so we can see and possibly mimic what you’ve done and see if it works? I’m not getting crashes of EMU anymore but the MIDI triggers are like whole minutes behind making everything just unusable for me. Any help is greatly appreciated

1 person likes this
Sure thing. Here’s a Dropbox folder of photos of the settings I have. Some of the files may still be uploading. Just to reiterate my last comment though, I did nothing but 1. Delete the test version of emu 2. Went and deleted the plugins from their places in the library (I doubt this had any effect) 3. Install the publicly available main version of emu from the website, and now it works exactly as I had expected it to work. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/af99ql2aomfsz93/AAD3-CLs93M3DMg11JddTKfea?dl=0

1 person likes this
Blake, I'm in the same boat as Robbie. Can you share how you setup your scenes and programs in EMU? Also, are you using the IAC midi driver output on any specific bus? On my side the app isn't crashing anymore but it is exhibiting the same behavior that Robbie is seeing. It doesn't trigger from some midis and then does for others. Sometimes it takes minutes for the program to acknowledge that it's been sent a midi signal. I'm thinking that maybe we've both missed something that you figured out. If it's something that I'm doing wrong I am more than happy to follow your path if it gets us to being able to use Logic with EMU.

Hi Chris, and Robbie,

In a little bit, I'll take a full video detailing exactly what I'm doing, and all of the settings I've got going on and post it here.

1 person likes this

CHRIS AND ROBBIE, 

I HAVE UPLOADED A VIDEO TO THE DROPBOX LINK THAT I SENT BEFORE SHOWING EVERYTHING I HAVE GOING ON IN LOGIC AND EMU. CHECK THERE. IT WILL PROBABLY TAKE A LITTLE BIT TO UPLOAD, SO IF YOU DON'T SEE IT, CHECK BACK IN A LITTLE BIT. Sorry for caps locks, I started typing without looking at the screen. 

2 people like this

Hello Blake,

First of all thanks for sharing your instance, that might help other users too. I hope Christopher and Robbie will find resolution soon. From my side I will work this with everyone till to the end.

Guys, we've prepared new 23.2.13.4 alpha version of EMU. Please delete the previous one, delete VST and AU plugins and then install it (I think that was the way Blake described). Basically Blake is right, that even current production or beta versions should work. All the alpha versions just have protections in not overloading EMU (which was noticed based on previous your logs).

Blake, could you please do me a favor and shoot a small video from the beginning, how do you make a midi track in Logic and then send notes to EMU? You may do all quick without detailed explanations as we can make pause at any time to follow your actions.

Everyone - after some additional testing, I believe I have figured out what exactly fixed the issue! I tried to replicate what I was doing in a fresh session. At first, I had the same issue with crashing EMU. Here's what you have to do in the official release of EMU to solve the problem. On your external midi channels you have to select OFF for the Midi port in setting. Having this set to ALL, which is the default, will crash EMU pretty much every single time you send midi out. Setting it to off resolves the issue and EMU will act as expected. Based on the info that Andrei has provided, I'm assuming this set to all is creating some kind of midi feedback loop that is overwhelming EMU with 600k requests per second as Andrei said he saw in the logs. 

Andrei - I have uploaded a shorter video just showing what fixes the issue, see below. I am going to opt to stay on the current official release of EMU for now as it is working and stable. As much as I appreciate the work that went into creating all of these alpha versions, and I don't think we would have figured this out without them, I believe the fix is just the one I have outlined above, and no actual change in EMU is needed to resolve the issue. I might suggest having this step included in some instructions somewhere for Logic users as I'm sure many others have had a similar issue since the default external midi setting in Logic is what is causing the crashes. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp3256f4fk7hzv5/ISSUE%20RESOLVED.MOV?dl=0

Thank you Blake, that solved it for us. Andrei, to avoid this in the future maybe there should be a FAQ for Logic users? Not my call, just a suggestion. Also, Blake definitely deserves a medal. LoL

1 person likes this
Blake, my inspector doesn’t even show me MIDI in and out to do the fix, what am I missing here? See photo

Thanks Christopher :D

Robbie - This was added in Logic 10.7 which came out in late 2021. Check to see what version you're running as it won't be there for any version prior to 10.7. 

Andrei - That's also probably some good information for others, that this feature that fixes the issue is a relatively new addition to Logic. Versions from before late 2021 cannot utilize this fix. 

Guys thank you all for the help, you made great effort to figure out the issue. Especially Blake. As for me I fall back from you and like Robbie don't see Midi out port to make it IAC driver bus 1. However my Logic is 10.7.5. Will try tomorrow to make video, may be you will be able to help me to pair Logic midi with EMU. As I am lusting to reproduce the issue you faced.

Hi Andre, 

IAC Bus Driver is something that has to be turned on in the computer settings. I don't remember the exact steps, but there are videos on youtube outlining what to do if you search "IAC Bus Driver Logic".

Login or Signup to post a comment